Obituary – Barton, Rev. John Page

Class of 1909

Rev. John Page Barton

September 4, 1892 – March 19, 1962

Rev. John Barton, 69, and his wife Della, 67, died on March 19, 1962, as the result of a car accident in Tulsa.

The son of John W. and Lucie (Williams) Barton, he was born in Marionville, Missouri, on September 4, 1892. His mother died shortly after he was born. His father then married Geneva Davison in 1894, and the family moved to Perry in 1904 to establish a bookstore. John P. graduated from Perry high school in 1909 and continued his education at Oklahoma University, where he served as secretary of the Noble County Club, and was a member of the Websterians, one of the leading literary societies.

In 1914 he became a student at the Oklahoma University medical college in Norman. While still a student he and Della Rose Cranston were married on June 19, 1915. Miss Cranston was one of the popular salesladies at the Famous department store in Perry. John took his bride back to Norman with him, where they planned to reside until he completed his course in medicine.

After completing 3 years at OU, John began a career with the Simpson Lumber company, who had yards in Seminole, Miami, Shawnee, and Oklahoma City. His first employment with the company was in Miami where a daughter was born to them in 1918. He then opened and managed two other Simpson Lumber Yards in Stroud (1919) and Nuyaka (1921). While in Nuyaka he also served as superintendent of the newly organized Sunday School.

The family then moved to Tulsa, where John worked as the distribution clerk for the U. S. Post Office and became a pastor. In June of 1949 the East Oklahoma Conference of the Methodist Church appointed Rev. John P. Barton as pastor of a church on S. Owasso. Under his leadership the Owasso Church began showing a distinct increase in attendance and interest. After serving the church faithfully for five years he asked for a leave of absence from the Oklahoma Conference due to ill health. During this time they lived in Sapulpa and Skiatook, moving back to Tulsa by 1958. Although not returning to full-time ministry, John delivered invocations, gave comfort to those ill, and officiated at funerals.

He and Della are survived by daughters, Lucie and Mary; and son, John Page Barton, Jr.